Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Cook Reactors-Tournament Time!

Regular season play is over and we are in playoffs now. Since this was our first year with a team we played in the B League. Since we did well (except in the end) they are making us play in the A League for the tournament. According to inside sources, most of the teams in the A League have girls who have played college ball...scaaaaary for us casual players. This was our first setback for the week.

The second was that due to vacations, weddings, and shiftwork we only had three girls who were able to come this week. This means you have to forfeit. We got lucky and the wife of one of the guys on the team (in flip flops) graciously agreed to be our 4th girl so we didn't have to forfeit. Unfortunately we were still short and had to play with less people and take an automatic out in the batting order.

By the 3rd inning we were losing pretty badly (I think 16-4). I was up to bat and I barely hit the ball in front of the plate. I ran hard to first anyway and somehow at the same time the ball was thrown hard into my right shoulder and my left arm collided with the first baseman's glove. I could see she was way over on the base when I running so I moved as far over to the safety base as I could. I'm not sure why she even stuck her glove out because the ball hit me on my right side so she couldn't have been close to catching it. The end result was she was sent to the ER with a probable broken arm and/or wrist and/or hand (I have much experience in broken bones in this area and hers did not look good).

Unfortunately this was their 5th girl so they were down to 4 too after that incident. We never caught up, but everyone teased me the rest of the night about the tiniest person on our team and taking out the other teams 5th girl to even it up. My arm and shoulder are very sore but I'm sure I will heal quicker than she will!

The worst part about the whole fiasco tonight was this is a double elimination tournament and we have to come back and play another A League Team next week...hopefully with enough players.

3 comments:

Jock said...

Ouch.

jporterGOP said...

danggg. that's truly being on the bottom and looking up.

carriegel said...

better her than you, that's all i can say. you've broken enough arms.