Sunday, August 3, 2008

Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon

This is what I spent my day doing Saturday. Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon. 70.3 because that is how many miles it takes to finish it (1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike, 13.1 mile run)!
No, I wasn't racing-I have taken the summer off to try and get control of my knee problems, which is why I haven't had any triathlon adventures to share with you. Instead I volunteered at the finish line this year. What a great view! This is the first time I have been a volunteer and not a racer.

Here is the view from the finish line-what a fun place to watch the finishers! Here is a picture from the race last year. Notice that beautiful, calm lake Michigan?
Things this year weren't quite as nice. It was perfect weather all day but the lake decided to be too rough and the swim was actually cancelled. Instead the competitors had to start the race with a 2 mile run instead of the swim. I am so glad I got to do the swim last year instead of an extra run-that would have been so disappointing to miss out on my strongest leg.

Theres me starting the race last year-see that purple blur in the middle? The only one without a wetsuit-I much prefer a normal racing suit and luckily last year the water was warm enough to not wear a wetsuit. My duties at the finish line this year consisted of making sure people who weren't racing didn't get in, handing out water, gatorade, fruit, and towels, and helping people to the medical tent.

This is me right after I finished last year-I don't think I could have bent over at that point. Good thing there was that nice volunteer there to take my timing chip off for me! Working at the race made me sad I had to miss this years triathlon season, but it was still fun to be there without the stress of racing. I always appreciate the volunteers who help me out when I'm racing and it was nice to be able to return the favor this year. As fun as it was, hopefully next year I will be back as a racer and not a volunteer!

4 comments:

carriegel said...

i liked seeing last year's pictures.

megawatt miler said...

you took them!

Jock said...

You're crazy.

Anonymous said...

Last year was a grueling race and I was just watching. I didn't have quite the same view of the finish line as your mother and I were just on the other side of that fence at the finish line. Great memories!