Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Fantasy Football

Fantasy football draft was tonight. This is my first year playing, I had to wait three years for a spot to open up on the work team so I could get in. Cory has played since I have known him and it used to annoy me how he would flip between games to watch stats, but I am thinking I might be a little more understanding this year. My team is the Domers, naturally. It was very hard to try and pick good people and not just ex-ND players. This is a work league I'm playing in so theres a lot of pride on the line-I play my boss the very first week.

Here is my team (I picked 10/12):
Tom Brady-QB
Marc Bulger-QB
Ryan Grant-RB (ex-ND)
Julius Jones-RB (ex-ND)
Justin Fargas-RB
Fred Taylor-RB
Anquan Boldin-WR
Plaxico Burress-WR
Joey Galloway-WR
Kevin Walter-WR
Jeremy Shockey-TE
John Carlson-TE (ex-ND)
Shayne Graham-K
New York Giants-DT

Overall, I think I'm in good shape. I'll admist Cory did help me quite a bit, besides the ND picks! Pre-season rankings after the draft have me at 5th which is a lot better than I expected playing all these veterans (I think the league has been around about 10 years). I had to leave the draft with two rounds left to meet my parents for dinner since they were in town for the day. I ended up getting Kevin Walter as my 4th WR. I told them to pick him and I had Arnaz Battle as a second choice if Walter was taken. I was kind of hoping he would be so I would have a chance to add another ex-ND player, but it didn't work out that way. If I was there I would have been very tempted to pick up Brady Quinn in one of the last few rounds so its probably a good thing I left. I just checked everyone else's team and it doesn't look like anyone drafted him. I will probably end up picking him up later. I even wore my Brady Quinn jersey to the draft, but I have two really solid QB's so I resisted.

I am also in a pick 'em league where you just pick who you think will win the games each week. Thats a lot easier. Thanks for letting me join Tiff!

Hopefully the Domers will not disappoint.

4 comments:

jporterGOP said...

shockey is just coming back from an injury. and although i'm a packers fan, i don't think ryan grant will have a good year :(, one of their linemen just went down with an injury...and once aaron rodgers can't throw the ball...defenses will be playing the run.

however, your ex ND pick Julius Jones might be a great sleeper, and Marc Bulger is a very solid second QB. i'm just glad you didn't pick brady quinn : )

megawatt miler said...

Cory is quite convinced Shockey is going to have a very good year so I'm trusting him on that pick. I also got quite a bit of grief during the draft for picking him before some other TE's. I think Grant was too highly ranked preseason but he was the highest RB by far when I got my second pick and I needed a RB. I really wasn't going to draft him even though I wanted him for the ND factor but it was pretty much the best option at the time we'll see how it turns out. There is still time to pick up Brady, don't worry!

Jock said...

Glad to see you're drafting Michigan men, Brady should be money in the fantasy world. I'm not to sure about those ND picks though. Don't listen to peej Rodgers will throw the ball fine and open up holes for Ryan Grant. The Packers have a system that enables to run the ball much like the old Denver Broncos used to have. And believe me it pains me to say that being a Lions fan.

And speaking of the Lions don't over look either McDonald or Furrey for a 4th receiver if you need one during the year.

carriegel said...

i think you need to explain tiff's method of picking football teams. could be very enlightning to these football experts.