This is what I made for dinner tonight (the least blurry picture):

Spinach salad with scallops and soy bacon and basil red potatoe fries. The fries were awesome-I will definitely make them again! They had fresh basil, olive oil, garlic, and parmesan cheese. The salad was ok, but I had to improvise a little on the dressing. It called for chutney which I could not find in the grocery store so I ended up scrapping that and just using oil and vinegar. It would have been better with more favor to the dressing. The scallops were pretty good though, I love scallops and have been wanting to try cooking them for awhile. I'll definitely try them again and next time cut back a little on the cayenne pepper and they should be perfect.

10 comments:
Everything sounds great other than the soy bacon not to sure about that. Besides there is no substitute for bacon fat.
Pork fat rules.
i will admit it would have been a lot better with real bacon
isn't everything?
Great job on that plate. Nice portioning, and nice use of color. and scallops too! if you can sear scallops well, you are well on your way to being a good cook!
and your instinct is right. use real bacon. it, butter, and duck fat are the best foods ever.
as for chutney, don't buy it, make it! :) the fun thing about chutney is that its not really one specific product, so much as its a sauce or dip made by cooking a bunch of ingredients together. in other words, you can make a chutney out of pretty much anything. check out foodnetwork.com for some recipes.
one more thought, and sorry if i'm overbearing here, but one thing you might try for that salad is making an orange vinaigrette. good olive oil, fresh squeezed orange juice, S&P, little garlic, maybe a little ginger, if you are in the mood, and just whisk it until you get the flavor and texture you want. orange goes great with both spinach and scallops, especially if you just simply sear the scallops with salt and pepper. ok... i'll stop now. :)
i didn't know you liked scallops. the things i learn reading your blog.
i want to see a picture of tiff delivering pizzas!
It looks delicious, and of course, those fries really caught my attention.
Mmm... And I like soy, even if it isn't as good as the real thing. I can't enjoy bacon because I'm always thinking of how it's 100% fat. I won't eat it anymore unless it's crispy.
And I LOVE scallops.
Great job on the dinner.
i had scallops several times in hawaii i've just been scared to cook them myself.
aunt c-the fries were awesome if you want the recipe let me know. they aren't too bad b/c they are baked and i cut back on the olive oil and parm cheese.
I'd be very interested in that fry recipe, as well!
Post a Comment