Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Healthy Muffin Recipe

By request...


This is actually my Mom's recipe. I'm not sure where she got it but she has been making them as long as I remember.

3/4 cup sugar (i use splenda)

1.5 cups mashed banana (about 5 ripe bananas)

3/4 cup vegetable oil (substitute applesauce to make healthy!)

2 eggs (can substitute egg beaters to make healthier)

2 cups flour

1 tsp baking soda

2 tsp vanilla extract

1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt


The banana is easiest to mash with a fork-you want pretty ripe bananas that are good and brown. Mix sugar, banana, oil, and egg in a large bowl. Mix in everything else. Bake at 325 for 60-70 minutes. Note: This actually makes a loaf of banana bread. Since I tend to share most of my baked goods I find it more convenient to make muffins. It usually makes somewhere around 15 muffins and I find cooking them around 20 minutes is usually good. Stick a toothpick in them to figure out when they are done.


The key here is the dark chocolate-add it to the batter at the end. I like to use mini dark chocolate chips-just add and mix until you feel like there is enough. You could add nuts too but I generally don't like nuts in baked goods. I also like to use whole wheat flour but it definitely changes the taste a little. If you are worried about the whole wheat flour you can use 1/2 regular flour and 1/2 whole wheat or just forget about the whole wheat altogether.


Other muffins I make come out of a box mix-I can't believe I am admitting this. I think the brand is Krusteaz (?) and they are fat free blueberry muffins that are actually pretty good. All you have to do is add water to the mix. I also add some fresh blueberries and orange zest to make them a little better.


Enjoy-and let me know the results!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

My current favorite muffin mix -- Fiber one apple cinnamon made with substituting the oil with pumpkin. Miss K loves, loves, loves them!

megawatt miler said...

wow that sounds awesome! i havent had much luck finding fiber one stuff around here but i am going to look harder for that.

Anonymous said...

I think culinary school is starting to make me lose my mind. Reading it, i could hear Chef Amy (my baking instructor) lecturing about the procedure and mise en place for this recipe. "Mix your dry together, and your wet together separately! Remember, sugar is a wet ingredient! Clean as you go!"

also, i think you might have motivated me to start a blog of my own dedicated to food. we'll see if i can be not lazy in my downtime and start something up. oh, and i can assure you, mine will generally not be dedicated to making food more healthful. Bacon, butter, and duck fat are the best!

Anonymous said...

Can you believe I can't find that mix at Me*jer. It's a Wally world.

Shaelynn said...

I'm really excited to try this recipe out. I'll let you know if it goes well. If it's a disaster, well... I'll probably tell you.

megawatt miler said...

no wonder why i cant find it then. i also cant find weight watchers bagels at meijer-it is very sad.

carriegel said...

please don't say you use a mix. please.

Jock said...

Is using a mix any worse than using a gas grille?

megawatt miler said...

they are good-and some of us working people dont always have time to do the make it from scratch thing.