Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Mmmm Lasagna

I might as well jump on the recipe bandwagon-this is the lasagna I made tonight. Only 310 calories a serving (8 servings per pan)!

INGREDIENTS
Vegetable oil cooking spray
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 lb ground turkey breast
3 cups tomato sauce
3 tsp Italian seasoning (or 1 tsp each dried basil, parsley and oregano)
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
6 cups chopped fresh spinach (or chard)
2 cups fat-free ricotta
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 package whole-wheat lasagna noodles (about 8 oz, or 9 noodles)
2 cups (8 oz) shredded part-skim mozzarella

PREPARATION
Preheat oven to 375°. Spray a medium-sized nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Sauté onion for 2 minutes, then add turkey and cook an additional 5 to 7 minutes. Add tomato sauce, all seasonings and mushrooms and simmer 2 minutes. Remove pan from heat. In a bowl, combine spinach, ricotta and nutmeg. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Cook pasta according to package directions until al dente. Drain and rinse with cool water. Coat a 9" x 13" baking pan with cooking spray. Arrange 1/3 lasagna noodles (3 noodles) on the bottom of the pan. Spread a layer of ricotta mixture, then turkey mixture, then 1/3 mozzarella. Repeat layers, ending with mozzarella. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until cheese bubbles. Cool at least 5 minutes before cutting.

I actually used a cup of mushrooms instead of 1/2 a cup. And I added a cup of corn. I know thats weird, but I saw a nutritionist a few years ago and she said I didnt have enough servings of vegetables in my diet-and trust me, I eat a lot of veggies. So now I try to add extra veggies to everything. Corn is a good one, you can add it to pretty much anything, especially if its Mexican or Italian. And let me restate this again- only 310 calories for a huuuuge piece! Unfortunately I don't have anyone to share this with so I have to freeze half the leftovers, but it will make good work lunches later.

Happy Cooking!


11 comments:

jporterGOP said...

i'm disappointed and impressed at the same time.

first, the disappointment.

you're contributing to the recipe blogs that i skim over, haha.

however, i'm impressed that you can create such a tasty looking meal.

kudos for that.

Anonymous said...

It looks delicious. I'll give it a try!

carriegel said...

So this is what you do on your day off. It looks good. We had lasagna too. And scones. I know you didn't make those. yum.

megawatt miler said...

you are right, no scones. but i bet your lasagna wasnt as low calorie as mine!

Jock said...

You are your mother too. Turkey burger?

However it does look good.

By the way if you can make lasagna you won't have any trouble making ribs. I am just not sure how good turkey ribs would be.

Anonymous said...

hmmm... well, being the semi-OC culinarian that i am, i should point out that you should never, ever buy dried parsley. its pointless. it's tasteless. buy the real thing, chop it fine, and use it at the end. much better. :)

while i would agree that you can add corn to just about any mexican or tex-mex dish, i think i'm gonna have to disagree with corn and italian food. unless its polenta, in which case, add away.

i don't have a blogger blog, but maybe i'll get one, throw up some recipes, though, i'll warn you, NONE of my cooking is low fat. if it doesn't have butter or bacon, its not real food. ;) i'm entering a recipe contest at school this weekend. should be a good time!

megawatt miler said...

i am my mother too? what does that mean?!?!?!

im not saying the turkey breast is better than "real" meat...but it definitely is a lot better for you!

i dont usually cook meat though. i think ill have to try the ribs the next time cory is in town-im definitely not making it for myself!

carriegel said...

You sound insulted! Now I feel insulted. Ha.

Jock said...

I have to agree with Rob on the parsley thing the only way to go is fresh as is the case with most herbs.

In the south they call polenta grits. I don't care what you call it, it is still just cornmeal.

I have to agree with the butter and bacon fat (bacon fat rules) but my waste line doesn't. I use it now and then but not as often as I would like.

megawatt miler said...

haha i stay away from that stuff-notice im going for low fat here. and i dont like parsley so i ommitted that anyway. but it did have 6 cups of fresh spinach!

Jock said...

Fresh spinach is good.