
Tilapia with a pineapple topping. I recently did some research on tilapia and found out it has a lot of omega 6's (bad fat) but its low in omega 3's (good fat). And it can be harmful to people if they have heart problems because of that. Yikes. I think I'm switching to salmon now-the skin kind of gross me out though. Anyone have any tips on that? I sure am going to miss my tilapia.

Homemade chicken noodle soup. I had to start with a whole chicken and make stock first which I've never done before.

It was a lot of work but the end result was so worth it!

My first attempt at pork chops. I need a lesson in pan frying. I am never completely successful-I always burn the outside of anything I try to pan fry. Anyone have any tips on this?

Dinner this weekend-calzones!

I saw Giada make these and I had to try them. Homemade dough and stuffed with shrimp. They were a little labor intensive but I'd definitely repeat this one!
New turkey burger recipe. This was alright, I think I can find a better one. The bun was a winner at least.
Tonights dinner-chicken breast, potatoes, carrots, and zucchini. I liked the recipe b/c it was really easy (from the Real Simple website) but it had a lot of mustard in it and I am a fan of mustard but this was a little much. I don't think I'll be repeating it but I might be repeating this method at least.And finally.....I cam home to this in the mail today:
I can't believe I won something for being a super sleuth! Its a little blurry but it even says "Megawatt Miler" on it-how cool is that? I hate to admit it but I get Starbucks every week when I go grocery shopping. So I will be enjoying this next week while I am out getting supplies for my upcoming cooking adventures-thanks so much Aunt C!!!
7 comments:
For the salmon either skin it before you cook it, which can be hard to do if you have never done before, or peel the skin off after you cook it which is very easy.
The way I cook pork chops is 2 minutes on med high heat on the stove for one side, repeat for the other side and then slide into a 450 degree oven to finish. I cook pork chops to 147 degree internal temperature.
The chicken noodle soup looks good but I want the recipe for the calzones, especially how you made the dough.
Jock is correct on both counts. For individual pieces of salmon, i'd suggest removing the skin after you cook it (especially if you poach it or steam it, though be careful, it will be delicate.) if you ever find yourself serving a whole lot of people, however, its actually easier to remove the skin from a full side of salmon before you cook it.
As for pork chops, he beat me to it. Though one thing you might try is buying slightly thicker ones (somewhere between 3/4 and 1 in thick) and stuffing them. there's a pretty good recipe for this from Good Eats, should be on Food Network's website.
one more tip: now that you've made a stock/broth successfully, one thing i do two or three times a year is actually make my own stock and then freeze it. what i like to do is buy whole chickens raw, and then break them down, but freeze the carcass. once you get two or three carcasses, you can make a simple, but super flavorful stock from them (i like standard carrot/celery/onion, with a sachet of black peppercorns, a bay leaf, and a couple sprigs of thyme). After you make the stock, you skim off any fat, strain it through cheese cloth, and then use ice cube trays to freeze it. then you just bag it up and it will keep for a long time and you can just take out what you need and thaw it out on the stove. better tasting that store bought, and you get to use all the chicken that you bought for other things!
Btw, your platings are very nice. the tilapia plate is especially attractive. I'm impressed!
Disappointing on the tilapia for sure. What about orange roughy? Have you researched that? Your meals look delicious -- especially the soup!
i'll try that w/the pork chops that sounds like it will work much better.
i've heard about doing broth that way i've just never tried it-it is very frustrating to be buying cans of it so often but sometimes i just don't have time for that. i'm sure i'll try it sometime. the soup was definitely worth the extra time though.
i think i picked up the plating from so much top chef.
ive never made orange roughy, im not sure ive seen it in my grocery store, but from what i see online there was a health advisory issued from the environmental defense fund because they contain high levels of merucy. maybe b/c they live so long? it also said they can live to be 100-and they dont even reproduce until they are 20. they have 7mg of omega 3 fatty acids per 60g serving compared to 1200 in fresh atlantic salmon. other than the mercury i cant find any info on how it is healthwise. i did see somewhere where it was better than tilapia so its got that going for it at least!
i can't believe you made calzones. they looked good. where did you learn to cook?
whenever we have chicken i save the bones and skin. when i have a potful then i make stock. i use ina's recipe. it is easy peasy.
I should have told you I use a cast iron frying pan for cooking my pork chops. You don't have to but make sure whatever pan you use it has a oven safe handle to withstand the temperature. I also cook steaks, hamburgs and chicken breast this same way.
Where's that calzone and dough recipe?
Post a Comment