Yesterday I got my hair cut-when my hairdresser found out what I did she got really excited. She said her uncle loved nuclear power then proceeded to ask me a lot of questions. Here is how a bit of our conversation went:
Her: "So, you have uranium for energy, but what kind of energy does your power plant make?"
Me: "Electricity."
Her: "Ooooh electricity-wow."
Then she asked me if Uranium was a renewable resource-I told her it was an element but I'm not quite sure that answered her question. I do have to give her a lot of credit because she was really making an effort and seemed like she genuinely did care.
A little later she asked me what Cory did and when I told her and she said "Wow-what do you guys talk about?". I wanted to tell her we like to derive equations most of the time but I thought she might believe me.
My last hairdresser thought that "mechanical engineer" meant that I was a car mechanic and I never was able to make her think otherwise. When I don't know people I usually don't like to tell them what I do. Most people just give me funny looks like I might be crazy or just really weird. It makes it very awkward.
By the way-in the debate Obama just said "We need to find a way to safely store nuclear energy". I'm pretty sure he meant fuel, that was funny (but maybe only to me).
Tuesday, October 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
other than the small chance of the rocket blowing up (an admittedly bad thing) why don't we just load spent fuel rods into rockets and dispose of them in the Sun? yeah, expensive, but it would be a pretty damn effective way to get rid of them, no?
i want to know what you think about nuclear energy. mccain is a huge supporter, where obama is skeptical. can it be safely stored...and can we do anything to recycle it so that it doesn't have to be stored?
i caugght obama'a remark too and thought the same thing. i attribute it to youth.
I heard Obama say it too. His mouth got ahead of his brain but I don't think it was a big deal he is smarter than that.
It is already stored all over the place.
I understand that, Joni. I want to know if it can be 'safely' stored. The burial sites are considered potential terrorist targets - I want to know whether they're actually hazardous or not.
You just singled out and used a loaded term (safely) when talking to a safety major.
I found it kind of ironic.
i still want to know why, in all seriousness, we don't just send spent nuclear fuel to Harry Carry's favorite planet?
the amounts of nuclear waste that we would have from going nuclear would cost far too much to send to the sun. not only do we need to burn rocket fuel, but you'd be discarding the canister that would cost millions to build. it's good in theory, but not when you factor cost of disposal.
Post a Comment