Sunday, August 10, 2008

Michigan Produce

Yesterday I had a really good workout at the gym. I ran 4 miles on the treadmill (I've been running 3 so that was the first time I've gone over that since I quit running for my knee) and then I did 50 minutes on the elliptical. My favorite recovery snack after a good workout is to make a smoothie!

There is a barn that sells all kinds of fresh produce on my way home from the gym so I stopped by there to see what they had today. I was in luck-the truck that turned into the barn in front of me had corn and peaches on it-the lady said they had been picked less than an hour ago!

For smoothies I usually throw any kind of fruit/juice/yogurt I have laying around in it. I almost always use bananas but didn't today because I had fresh peaches. I also used blueberries, light OJ, honey, yogurt, and ice. I like my smoothies so thick you have to eat them with a spoon so I usually go light on the OJ. It was great-you can't beat fresh Michigan blueberries and peaches.

For dinner that night I made baked sweet potatoes and corn. You also can't beat fresh Michigan corn. This is what I did with my pitas Uncle C-baked them to make pita chips. My mom used to make these a lot-yum. The ulterior motive for the pita chips was so I could have something to put pesto on. Look at all that basil-I tripled the recipe to try to get rid of some basil and I didn't even make a dent in my enormous plant.

All in all a good workout day and a good fresh produce day.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just commented on your Uncle's blog about the farm markets around you. Lucky is all I can say ...

carriegel said...

i am so jealous of your produce.

i have to day i have been picking blackberries (maybe black raspberries)like crazy the last week. i also ordered three blueberrie bushes for my garden. can't get much fresher than that.

megawatt miler said...

blueberry bushes-cool!

Jock said...

The best blueberries come out of the U.P. They are small, wild blueberries up around Paradise. We used to stop at an old ladies house and buy them from her. Her husband would go into the swaps of Paradise and pick them every morning. She didn't know how to read or write so we always had to figure out how much we owed her. She made great pies and her "experimental" blueberry cookies were out of this world. We ate all of them before we got 2 miles down the road.

carriegel said...

blueberry cookies. i would like the recipe for those.