This is the first "basil recipe" I made last week. It ended up being the best pasta I have ever made. It had sun dried tomatoes, mushrooms, chicken, and pesto. I ended up adding a little pasta sauce in the end because I was worried it would be a little dry. I will definitely be repeating this one. 
This is the pesto I made to go in the pasta. I love pesto, and who knew it was so easy to make? I don't have a food processor, and next time I am going to try it in the blender I think. It was pretty good chunky too. The fresh basil just puts it over the top.
This is what I attempted with my basil tonight (I apologize for the blurriness of all the pictures). I think its called Balsalmic Chicken with Zucchini from the Better Homes and Garden Dieter's Cookbook. I also have their traditional cookbook, but wow that stuff is pretty bad for you so I normally have to modify the recipes a lot to make them. This one only had 283 calories a serving-not bad! I chose to put it over brown rice instead of pasta since I've been doing a lot of pasta lately.
The final result-it was pretty good. I'm not a huge fan of balsalmic but the sauce also had honey in it which really helped.
The last thing I attempted with basil today was to make a salsa. I had no idea this recipe would make so much salsa, I have a big bowl full of it now.
I was supposed to use poblano peppers but couldn't figure out which ones they were, or if they were even in the store (pepper section wasn't labeled so well). I ended up with jalapenos unintentionally (I think...) but I like jalapenos so its ok. It ended up having quite a kick to it, but its really good! I will definitely repeat this Basil Salsa.
I added corn. I love corn in everything.
After all this, I haven't really put a dent in the basil plant. Tomorrow I am making more pesto (a different recipe) that claims you can freeze it for later. Hopefully that will take care of some more of the plant.

5 comments:
if you are going to freeze pesto, you definitely want to make it in the blender. it will keep better if it is smooth and closer to a sauce consistency. as for pesto recipes, i think three things really help make great pesto. 1. toast the pine nuts. 2. use a really good quality Parmesan cheese (microplaned for best results, but if you small dice it, your blender can do the work for you pretty well too. :) ) 3. add a splash of lemon juice. a lot of pesto recipes just call for basil, pine nuts, parm, and oil, but i think the acidity really brightens the fresh basil flavor. :)
oh, and just because i'm in a food mood, here's two things you might try with the pesto, either for yourself, or if you do some entertaining. first, mix pesto with softened butter to make a quick compound butter. you can wrap it in wax paper and freeze it, and just cut off what you need and thaw it. its awesome on warm bread. The other is a canape we made for a party at the hotel the other day. mix pesto with softened cream cheese, and then pipe or spread onto crostinis or toast points. top with a sliver of sun-dried tomato, and you've got a great snack or hors d'oeuvre. if i think of anything else, i'll let you know! :)
I want to try it all now.
wow, it's really grown since i have been there.
your salsa looks good!
I think basil is my favorite herb. If you like basil and corn check out my new post.
I might have to try your pesto recipe. I have never made pesto yet I think it may be time to try.
The answer to your blurry pictures is a tripod. I take almost all my pictures with a tripod. I don't even use the flash indoors anymore. If you want to know where to get one think Chirstmas.
i dont have the best camera either...
Post a Comment