Sunday, June 15, 2008

More Airport Fun

***First I would like to say Happy Father's Day!***

***1:50 PM: So I have been in line at the check-in counter at our regional airport for over an hour now. That is a little excessive when you think they only have a few flights a day to worry about. I have made it about half way to the front. Most of the time there have been no representatives at the counter-from past experience I have learned that they like to go on break. A lot.

My flight to Chicago is now delayed,which is better than cancelled like the several other flights. It took me the last hour to reach a human on the customer service line. I learned that my flight out of O'Hare is also delayed-lucky for me I may make my original connection!

More to come in my traveling drama, I'm sure.

***UPDATE #1 2:50 PM: I have now been in the check-in line for two hours. The lady in front of me is complaining they aren't bringing us food-HA! Only three people are in front of me in line, but they are down to zero people at the counter again.

***UPDATE #2 3:45 PM: Two representatives actually came out to the counter and announced they were going to get as many people from our flight on to the flight that was supposed to leave before ours that was holding on the runway. So we were rushed through security and out to the plane. We boarded and found everyone on the plane extremely upset because their flight was even more delayed waiting for us to get there. We taxied out to the runway then the captain made an announcement there was bad weather in Chicago and nothing is taking off or landing for at least the next hour. Now we are sitting on the tarmack for at least 45 minutes. Hungry lady from the line should be happy, they are giving us a beverage service while we sit.

Funny Facts:

1. Everyone is extremely upset because if the flight wouldn't have been held up for the people from our flight to come on they probably would have made it to Chicago instead of being stuck on the runway.

2. The air conditioner is broke, making the mad people hot.

3. There isn't any water for the beverage service because this is normally a no service flight because it is so short and they ran out. Now the mad, hot people also don't have water.

4. The captain anounced he is filing a complaint for the way everything was handled today and "encourages everyone to do the same".

***UPDATE #3 4:45 PM: Still sitting on the runway. Supplemental air conditioner was hooked up-I was fine with no air but now I'm cold. A United person from the ticket counter came in to make an announcement that we can get off the plane if we want but there would be delays getting our luggage because two flights were cancelled after this one and there is a long line. I'm staying on the plane-no way am I waiting in that line again! Its now raining and hailing outside - think we may be here for awhile.

***UPDATE #4 4:55 PM: Someone else made an announcement that we might have a better shot by getting off and rebooking for tomorrow. I am still staying put in hopes I make it to Chicago-I really don't want to miss any of my conference. Now people are really really really upset this didn't take off without our flight's people!

By the way I am stuck in the seat by the bathroom which is really starting to smell. I might try to move to one of the seats people are vacating because it is getting pretty unbearable.

***UPDATE #5 5:15 PM: Got moved to another seat, thankfully. The women across the aisle have more than a few of the airplane alcohol bottles. Pilot just got on again and said he just got off a conference call with O'Hare air traffic control and they said the weather has cleared up dramatically in Chicago and they don't understand why we haven't left yet. About 10 people have called it quits and gotten off the plane.

***UPDATE #6 5:15 PM Central Time Zone: Made it to O'Hare! Missed my connection, of course. Rebooked on a 7:00 flight that lands a little after 10. I have a half hour cab ride to the hotel from there so best case I hope to make it in now by 11. So much for my planned evening workout. Last time I flew to Colorado for a conference I was delayed and made it in a little before midnight. Makes for a long Monday but infinitely better than missing part of the conference-wish me luck!

Did I mention I'm in line again to get my new boarding pass? Once again, not moving quickly. I need to have time to get some real food here people!

***UPDATE #7 11:47 Eastern Time: Made it to Saratoga Springs, NY! Flight to Albany was pretty uneventful. One of the perks of delayed flights is getting to sit in Business Class when all of Coach is full. Another perk is when Business Class is empty and you get a whole row to yourself! We actually landed in Albany 15 minutes early and I got to a cab fairly quickly. It was a half hour ride and the cabbie talked pretty much the whole way. I was looking for things to do while I was here, and she kept telling me where all the good bowling places were. I did not come to NY to check out the lanes here!

To be continued...

10 comments:

carriegel said...

just let me say this again in case you didn't hear me the first time, we are NEVER traveling together.

carriegel said...

I have taken eight hour flights and haven't been fed, why would they feed people who have only been standing in line for a couple of hours. amatuer traveler!

megawatt miler said...

Haha I know-her crazy theories did keep me entertained for two hours.

Anonymous said...

That's right, Sarah. Again, we'll meet you in Florida for spring break.

Jock said...

Next time fly the blue goose, Northwest.

Or drive it might be quicker.

carriegel said...

haha. you just can't make this stuff up.

Shaelynn said...

Sheesh, Sarah. It's a good thing you've got a sense of humor about these ordeals or you'd spend a lot of time being upset in airports. =P

Anonymous said...

so at this point, should we ever decide to meet somewhere for a vacation or something, i should just schedule in an extra day for travel for you at the front end, right? Good lord, nothing like this has EVER happened to me. I think i've had a total of like two flights delayed in my life, missed one connection, and sat on the tarmac for maybe 45 min tops. might i suggest train travel for you from now on? or perhaps flying southwest?

(of course since i'm probably flying home for a funeral next weekend, karma will now surely bite me square on the ass. hope you enjoy your conference!)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jporterGOP said...

you have some crazy good luck in airports :)