I got to the airport in Albany this afternoon hoping for an uneventful travel day,but of course that is not happening.
My checked bag was 3.5 pounds overweight due to a huge binder and book I obtained at the conference. I took out the 7.5 lb binder rather than pay the ridiculous charge of $100 for being less than 5 lbs over the weight limit. Luckily Cory was still close (he drove up to spend the weekend with me while I was out here) and he turned around and I was able to give him the binder because it was too large to fit in my briefcase (thanks,Cory).
The person checking my luggage could not give me a boarding pass and said I had to get it at the gate. Instead, I have a "Departure Management Card", whatever that means. It makes me a little nervous not having a seat yet. Of course no one has been at the gate in the past hour I've been waiting here, typical.
According to rumors from other passengers at the gate there is bad weather in Chicago (again) and we are supposedly delayed. The gate still says "On Time" but since we were supposed to start boarding ten minutes ago and there is still no one here from United I am really starting to doubt that.
***Update #1 5:03 PM: There is now one guy working. I went to ask him for my boarding pass and he said they are very busy and working on getting boarding passes. Maybe its just me, but I thought having boarding passes was pretty standard?
On a side note, I read an article on CNN a few days ago that said O'Hare was the worst airport in the world for delays. Is it coincidence that I spend more time by far at O'Hare than any other airport? Am I really travelling cursed or is it just O'Hare's problem?
***Update #2 9:26 PM: Made it to O'Hare. I had a 3 plus hour layover anyway so I still have plenty of time until my 11:15 flight (Eastern time). The 5:00 flight for South Bend hasn't left yet anyway so it's not like an earlier flight would have done me much good.
I'm sitting in Chili's getting some dinner-this is a fantastic people watching location so that is keeping me pretty entertained.
My connection is on time and weather looks ok so hopefully it stays that way!
***Edit #3 11:07 PM: Flight to South Bend delayed, no plane.
Also, the girl across from me couldn't figure out what her flight number was on her boarding pass so she had to ask the people next to her. I'm trying not to judge but her hair is very blonde.
Sunday, June 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

11 comments:
You're not sitting in O'Hare as you right this, are you? Nope. You're definitely traveling cursed.
But the plane is headed to o,hare, if we ever leave...
at this point, you might consider doing what my aunt and uncle do. they practically never fly in the US anymore. instead, they bought a Prius, and they just drive. costs less, better for the environment, and at least the car leaves exactly when you tell it to. :)
oh, sarah.
where are you now?
I am educated. Shae -- I know the difference between right and write. Just a silly mistake. Honest.
I wasn't even going to say anything. I don't actually read for errors, you know.
Haha-i noticed and chose not to say anything either.
And usually where I'm flying is too far to make driving practical. I'm just guessing here, but is a car (times 200) driving 15 hours more practical than a plane with 200 people? I might have to research that.
it might be for just you. and if you can get the company to pay for it, all the better. and in the odd coincidence department, I too ate at a Chili's at Dallas-Love Field today during my layover between Dallas and Austin.
Depends on the people, don't you think? Bad company can make a 15-hour car ride look good!
They pick up all travel expenses except when it costs $1000 to rent a car for a week-good thing I like to walk!
hell, it can't be that bad to drive. My grandmother's funeral was in Tulsa over the weekend (along with the impromptu family reunion that comes with such events) and my prius driving aunt and uncle drove from New Jersey to Oklahoma in about 16 hours (granted, they did it in two 8 hour stretches with a stop in Indianapolis)
Post a Comment