Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The Saga of the Light


Actually its not really a saga. But since everyone seemed to enjoy me embarassing myself I figured I would do it again and saga just sounded more impressive. This actually just happened a few hours ago. I was having a conversation with someone at work (since I live by myself and my Dad is 6 hours away work is my best source of fix-it-yourself advice). The light on the ceiling of my kitchen burnt out I think around last December. I enjoy cooking and baking and it becomes a little challenging using just the stove light to read recipes. I finally got sick enough of this two weeks ago and decided I would finally change bulbs. I put it off for so long because the light in the kitchen is very similar to the one above (except uglier). Its the kind of light where bugs gather. I did not want to encounter any fried bugs so dragged my feet in changing the light as long as I could stand it, hoping I would get a willing light-changing visitor. Unfortunately that hadn't happened so I finally decided to do it myself. It took a good amount of time because I had to figure out how to get the cover off and then get it back on, not to mention covering all the cracking insulation with electrical tape-all while standing on top of the stove. Everything turned out ok and I had this amazingly bright kitchen once again. That lasted one night. The next morning I went to turn on my new kitchen light and I got nothing. Absolutely nothing. Since then I have solicited several peoples advice and have decided to change the fixture altogether (the current one is ugly anyway) and redo the switchplate wires.

Back to today-I was revealing the story of my sad, dark, kitchen to another (hopefully electrical genius who could help troubleshoot all my problems) person at work today. Here is how the end of the conversation went:

Me: "So when I finally have a life again after this work craziness (I hope I didn't actually use the word 'craziness' in a professional setting but I can't be sure) is over I am going to replace the fixture and see how that goes."

Smart Electrically-Minded Fellow Employee: "Make sure to cut the power before you do that."

Me: "I know-I have a plan all worked out. I am going to replace the light bulbs again before I put in the new fixture so when I go flip the breaker I can do it with the light working and I will know that I got the right one."
(Note: In my head I am thinking Duh, Buddy. Its not my first day around the electrical circuit block. I am a very smart engineer with a very smart fool proof plan that I am quite proud of.)

Smart Electrically-Minded Fellow Employee: Says something involving the light switch-probably something electrical-related that was over my head and I didn't understand so I tuned it out. The important thing is it prompted me to think of the switch. That is, the light switch that turns on this light.

Me: "Oh no, I forgot about the switch! I don't know how I am going to work on the switch! How am I going to make sure that the switch is on the same breaker if I open the correct breaker for the light and its already off? I hope they are both on the same circuit!"

All I got in return was a look of utter astonishment that a statement like that could leave my mouth. And then once again I contemplated changing career paths.

6 comments:

Jock said...

Waiting tables might be a good choice.

carriegel said...

Are you my daughter? Remember that I have twice shocked myself on electrical sockets. Let me tell you it is not pleasant. Please make sure the power is off.

megawatt miler said...

ouch on the waiting tables.

i guess ouch on the shocking too-i am paranoid about that.

Anonymous said...

once again, i'd love to make fun of you, but i studied politics, and now cooking. In other words, this is the sort of thing i pay other people to do for me. In other other words, i have no idea why what you said was stupid. ... and now if feel stupid both for that and for using, "in other other words".

Anonymous said...

Really, you don't have to keep doing this. I'm sure your employer as an Employee Assistance Program and you can speak to a counselor. If not, look up counseling in the yellow pages. We have long memories and you just might regret all this sharing.

BTW -- been shocked at least twice (explains me) as a kid growing up -- then dad covered the switch with a plate!

megawatt miler said...

haha we do have that but its not something ive looked in to-maybe im in denial and this is my wakeup call.